Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Brainiac: The Collector of Worlds

Hi, everybody. I’m so sorry for the delay, I had a busy weekend, and I know that in my 7th post (Venom) I told you this one would be done either during Friday or the weekend, but nobody’s perfect. Okay, back to the point, if you know the answer to the riddle found at the end of my last post, good for you, but for those of you who don’t know the answer, let me tell you this: the correct answer is Brainiac.

Quote from "Superman: Unbound" (2013):
Brainiac: "You shall not exist outside my control"

Okay, have any of you watched the animated movie “Superman: Unbound”? Well, to be honest, I was one of the lucky people who managed to watch it during last year’s WonderCon, in Annaheim LA (by the way I would really like to go this year, but I’m afraid that will have to wait for next year). The aforementioned film introduces Brainiac. Brainiac is an extraterrestrial life form, that comes from the planet Colu (other versions of the character like the Superman: the Animated Series and Smallville depict him as a kryptonian AI gone rogue), and he is one of the most powerful enemies that Superman has ever faced.

 
Quote from "Superman: The Animated Series" Season 1 (1996-1997):
Brainiac: "You are your father's son, Kal-El. Headstrong, foolish, easily defeated, and ultimately, forgotten."
 
Quote from "Smallville" Season 7 (2007-2008):
Brainiac: "I warned you. If you would have done things my way, no one would have gotten hurt. No one but you."

Brainiac, as you can read in the title of this post, collects the most important cities from whatever planet he is invading, and destroys what remains of that planet. His (or its, or whatever's) most infamous act is stealing the Kryptonian city of Kandor, shrinking it, and placing it in a bottle, deciding to leave afterwards after realizing that Krypton would eventually be destroyed anyways due to its unstable core.

Brainiac is one of the Man of Steel's greatest enemies, with the other two being Lex Luthor and General Zod. The Brainiac toy is located to the right in this image (Just to make it clear, these toys aren't mine. I just happened to find this image on Google).

What I really like about the dynamic between Superman and Brainiac is that they’re dark reflections of each other, in other words, Superman was born naturally, and his mission in life is to protect Earth and its citizens, as well as other planets during his space travels, at all cost, while Brainiac was created artificially and is programmed to collect information from various planets, and destroying them shortly afterwards, doing it for his own benefit and survival.
       Not to mention that the whole "Brainiac was created by Jor-El and was also responsible for the near-extinction of the Kryptonian race" dilemma from both "Smallville" and "Superman: The Animated Series" is starting to remind me of a similar dilemma from the Ultimate Spider-Man comic books (that will probably be carried on to the Spider-Man Cinematic Universe as well), in which Richard Parker (Spider-Man's father), was responsible for the creation of the Venom symbiote, inadvertently starting a chain of events which would ultimately lead to his's and Mary Parker's deaths.

                                                 

         I like the way Brainiac was portrayed in DC Universe Online, and in Smallville, but especially in “Superman: Unbound”, and I really hope Brainiac appears in the Batman and Superman 2016 film, especially with his logo appearing as a blink-and-you’ll miss it easter egg in the “Man of Steel” film.



Speaking of seeing Brainiac on the big screen, which actor do you consider suitable for the role? In my opinion, either Benedict Cumberbatch or Johnny Depp would be perfect. Why? Because Cumberbatch has that cold, menacing voice, from Star Trek: Into Darkness as Khan, and in The Hobbit trilogy as the dragon Smaug, that fits with the character of Brainiac. About Johnny Depp, I just think he would be a good candidate, with just seeing how he looks like in the trailers of the movie “Transcendence”.


This may sound silly, but, honestly, when I saw that picture for the first time, I actually thought that was Brainiac. XD

Well, I think that will be enough for today. Next post will be about another supervillain from DC Comics. You may have two options about who I’m going to talk about in my next post, and if you can’t decide which of them will be, I suggest you flip a coin in order to find out who. See ya!!

No comments:

Post a Comment